9 Must Visit Places in Karnataka, India
Are you looking for an Indian state to explore the history and culture of this country? You can consider visiting the state of Karnataka known for its Heritage destinations and magical hill stations. Let me tell you about 9 must-visit places in Karnataka, India.
Table of Contents
Karnataka is a state in the southern part of India popular for its Heritage destinations, hill stations, coffee plantations and national parks. Locked between Kannad Coast, Western Ghats, and Deccan Plateau, the state also boasts of forests, temples, caves beaches, riversides, lakes, waterfalls, ruins, and so many more interesting tourist spots, making it an ideal place for a traveller with diverse interests.
The state of Karnataka is also home to some of the most powerful kingdoms, philosophers, saints, age-old monuments, highly admired pilgrimage sites and countless natural marvels that attract many visitors all year round. Among many here is a list of 9 must-visit places in Karnataka that give you an experience of the beauty and culture of this state:
The Capital city of Karnataka, Bangalore is a colourful city of culture and people. It is also one of the best places to visit in Karnataka. The city is a complete joy to stay in and explore. Bangalore has pleasant and comfortable weather around the year. The best time to visit the city is during summer.
Best things to do in Bangalore:
- Butterfly Park of Bannerghatta Biological Park, Bangalore Palace and Tipu Sultan’s Palace is a must visit
- Never leave Bangalore without trying their local food.
Coorg raja’s seat view
Endowed with coffee estates full of aroma, luxuriant greenery dotting the mountains, and stunning waterfalls plunging down the misty mountains, Coorg is aptly called ‘Scotland of India’ and makes it one of the best places to visit in Karnataka.
Best things to do in Bangalore:
- Bathe and feed the elephants at Dubare Elephant Camp.
- Don’t miss the Bylakuppe Monastery, the second biggest Tibetan settlement in India.
- Catch an exciting wildlife safari at Nagarhole National Park.
Once in Mangalore, strolling and sunbathing at the beaches, trying out scrumptious seafood, gazing at sunsets and visiting the shipyard just cannot be missed. It is popular amongst Karnataka’s points of interest.
Best things to do in Mangalore:
- Don’t miss the beautiful Tannirbhavi and Panambur beaches.
- Marvel at the various temples and chapels for their stunning architecture.
- Try out the delectable seafood.
If you are seeking complete solace visit this beautiful low-key, laid-back, and less-commercialized beach town. This town has won over backpackers with its quiet charm.
Best things to do in Gokarna:
- Don’t miss the Mahabaleshwar Temple and other temples for their great architecture.
- Catch the sunset at the beautiful Om Beach.
- Try water sports like boat rides, snorkelling, and parasailing here.
If you are interested in ruins and architecture then Hampi should be on your list. The historic UNESCO World Heritage Site showcases the glory and splendour of architecture of the Vijayanagara Kingdom. Hampi has almost 500 architectural structures in its ruins.
Best things to do in Hampi:
- Don’t miss the Monkey Temple, Archeological Museum and Vijaya Vittala Temple.
- Virupaksha Temple is an architectural marvel.
- The Riverside Ruins are breathtakingly beautiful.
Hirekolale Lake, Chikmagalur
Often known as the coffee land of Karnataka, this place is surrounded by scenic beauty along with the strong aroma of coffee. This hill station is situated at the foothills of the Mullayanagiri range and is famous for its serene nature, lush green forests, and the Yagachi River.
Chikmagalur is an ideal destination for a relaxing getaway with friends in Karnataka, being the largest producer of coffee, it is the best place to be for coffee lovers.
Best things to do in Chikmagalur:
- You can explore the tranquil coffee plantations
- Go on a nature walk and trekking trails in the hills.
Also known as the city of palaces in southern India, it is the most idyllic destination to visit in Karnataka with a dash of royal touch. Mysore is one of the largest princely states that boats numerous tourist spots for you to get in touch with the royal history of this place. The city not just houses world-renowned palaces and landmarks but there are also gleaming beaches near Mysore that would surely leave you amazed.
Best things to do in Mysore:
- Mysore is famous for its silk sarees, intricate architecture, sandalwood, royal heritage and yoga. Visit Mysore Zoo, Sri Chamundeshwari Temple, and Brindavan Gardens.
- The biggest attraction of the city is the Mysore Palace which reflects the beauty and charm of the royal city. Marvel at the elaborate architecture, the intricate carvings, and the stained glass windows.
Udupi is ethereal, verdant, and blissful. Locked between the misty Western Ghats and the pristine Arabian Sea, Udupi is also known as Odipu in the local language. It is popular for its temples, architecture, wood artefacts, beaches, stone carving, Yakshagana – the theatre art genre, and a special type of local cuisine, which includes Saaru, Koddelu, Huli, Tambuli, Kosambari, Bajji, and such.
Best things to do in Udupi:
Sri Krishna Temple,
St. Mary’s Islands,
Shiriyara are the major attractions
Located along the bank of a river of the same name, Kabini is one of the most picturesque and tranquil tourist spots in Karnataka. It is one of the highlights of Karnataka tourism.
Best things to do in Kabini:
- Enjoy boating at Kabini River.
- Explore Kutta, which is covered with coffee and spice plantations.
- A visit to the surreal Kabini dam is should be on your list of places to visit in Karnataka.