Camping: One Of The Best Ways To Reconnect with Nature
There is no denying that camping is one of the best ways to reconnect with nature. I understand that not everyone is an avid camper, or likes to spend the night in the woods. But believe me it’s a wonderful experience that one can have in their lifetime. If you really enjoy being in nature without minding some discomforts and troubles then camping is a very relaxing and enjoyable thing to do.
Table of Contents
There is no denying that camping is one of the best ways to reconnect with nature. I understand that not everyone is an avid camper, or likes to spend the night in the woods. But believe me, it’s one of the most wonderful experiences that one can have in their lifetime. If you really enjoy being in nature without minding some discomforts and troubles then camping is a very relaxing and enjoyable thing to do. When I went on such trips, I found them very relaxing and refreshing for kids and adults alike. In this post, I will share the best camping experiences that I had during my stay in the USA.
But before heading to my experiences let me briefly tell you about camping, its benefits, and some important things to keep in mind while on a camping trip.
What is camping?
I would say that if you are thinking about camping, simply find a decent campsite surrounded by tall trees, set up your tent, and enjoy the natural resources to survive. But depending upon your enthusiasm and adventurous spirit, you can either explore deep woods or remote locations for camping. Here are a few popular types of camping:
- Adventure camping is mostly done by advanced campers. It includes many activities like trekking, hiking, cycling, and exploring nearby locations.
- Glamping is a luxurious form of camping where you can enjoy without sacrificing any comforts.
- RV camping allows campers to enjoy exciting outdoor destinations and the scenic beauty of nature by using RVs instead of setting up the tent. RV stands for Recreational Vehicle, and they are equipped with almost everything you may need, including entertainment, bedding, kitchenettes, and working toilets.
- Traditional tent camping is one of the most common and basic kinds of camping. All you need to do is to find a campsite and pitch a tent. You can plan your activities depending upon the facilities available at the campsite.
Benefits of camping
Whenever you plan your trip just remember spending time in nature sounds fascinating but it also has its fair share of challenges. Being in nature means bugs, bad weather, sunburn, limited resources to survive, and sometimes no internet, which means that not everyone going to survive this. But on the other hand, you are also going to experience outdoor living, fresh air, the smell of the fresh flowers and watching the most gorgeous sunrises and sunsets ever. Here are some other benefits that I have realized camping can offer:
- Camping is a relaxing escape from your daily grind. It allows you to surround yourself with greenery, replace the sound of traffic with the songs of the wind, water, bugs, and birds, and create memories with your friends and family.
- Spending time outdoors can also improve your blood pressure, digestion and give your immune system an extra boost.
- Activities like camping often give you new challenges and you learn new skills to deal with them.
- While camping you experience a good night’s sleep, more sunshine, and physical activities that you sometimes miss being at home.
Dos and don’ts of camping
For any outdoor activity, it’s good to plan beforehand to make it more enjoyable and camping is no exception here. There are certain things you can do to make your trip a safe, fun, and memorable one.
- Check the weather before making plans and reserve your campsite
- Pack extra clothes especially warm clothes for the night
- Pack all camping gear to avoid inconvenience as sometimes it’s difficult to find shops near your campsite
- Night lamp, portable fan, matches, insect repellent, garbage bags, toilet paper are must for camping
- Check rules and regulations before booking or reaching the campsite and pack your gears accordingly
- Check campgrounds pet policy If you have pets
- Set up your tent before getting dark
- Always keep extra water bottles and snacks with you
- Respect other campers privacy by keeping low noise levels
- Make sure to cool down the fire of the campfire before going to sleep
- Clean up after yourself, leaving the camp area better than you found it.
My camping experiences
I had some best camping experiences during my stay in Texas, USA. In Texas, spring comes with a gradual warm-up from winter, lasting from mid-March through May and this is the perfect season for outdoor activities before hot summer days set in.
My first camping trip was at Lake Somerville State Park, Texas. Somerville Lake is a large multi-purpose lake on Yegua Creek. It has two main units – Birch Creek and Nails Creek. Both offer a multitude of recreational opportunities such as boating, fishing, hiking and biking, volleyball, horseshoes, basketball, backpacking, and horse riding. The best part of this trip was that our campsite was near the lake. We not only enjoyed swimming but also had our breakfast next to the lake. We also had a barbeque, campfire, shared some ghost stories, and played some fun games.
Read here our experience of Camping at Lake Somerville State Park
Night at the Camping Site
Swimming at Somerville Lake
My second best camping trip was at Stephen F. Austin State Park. This is one of the best state parks near Houston, Texas for camping and hiking activity. The campground has about forty campsites for RVs with electricity, water and has lots of roadways and paths for biking. The park has many trails just for hiking. Some trails are easy, little kids can enjoy them too. The park is surrounded by tall trees, which was wonderful since it was so hot.
Entrance to Amphitheater
A few years ago, I was a person who did not like adventures - especially activities like trekking and hiking. If someone would have offered me to go on such trips that time, then I would have definitely said no. But as the saying goes - never say never - because you do not know what the future holds for you. After having some wonderful experiences I will strongly recommend trying them at least once. Everyone should take a break from their daily routine and plan some activities that give them a chance to get connected with nature. Believe me, you are definitely going to enjoy this.
If you are ready to sacrifice your luxurious life for few days and appreciate the simplicity of nature - then go for camping.
Let me know
Have you ever been on such adventures trips? Share your experience in the comment section!
Pin for later